Friday, January 16, 2009

RETROPHILIA: Chaundon 2008 Interview

Chaundon -

"Cant Stop ME"



"Plastic Cups":
http://www.zshare.net/audio/542115157e1ace79/

FACT....unreleased interview i did with chaundon in 08.
we gonna do a new one in 09 believe that...he still at it!
what up homieeeeeeee!




TM: What it do Chaundon? How's 2008 treating you so far?
Chaundon: 2008 is great! Inking a publishing deal, putting out another record, moving into a new place, damn! things are pretty fuckin dope!!!!


TM: I want to start from the beginning to get an understanding of your background. Who and/or what brought you into the rap game?
Chaundon: Money, hoes, and clothes brought me into the rap game. Other than that, I was influenced by the emcees on my block. My boy Mike Smooth(R.I.P) was the 1st person I knew to have vinyl in the local record shop I use to cop my favorite albums from. That right there inspired me to really do this.


TM: What person and/or event brought you in the game as an artist, or does the credit go to yourself?
Chaundon: As an artist on the street, I credit myself. I defeated enough rappers to prove myself worthy of calling myself an emcee. As an artist putting albums out, I credit Little Brother and Big Dho. They kicked in the door which allowed me to take my career to the next level.


TM: What artists/style of music influenced you the most growing up?
Chaundon: Hip Hop most definitely influenced me. I really wasn't into music other than calypso. My father played it in the house so I was accustomed to it. I was a fan of Slick Rick, Doug E. Fresh, Kool G.Rap, Big Daddy Kane, and Rakim.


TM: What is your favorite piece of music you have ever released? Favorite album?
Chaundon: I have too many joints I released for me choose a favorite. My favorite album aint even out yet. NO EXCUSES(my favorite album) COMING SOON!!!!!!


TM: Fortunate Enough To Work With Plenty Great Producers.Who's Your Favorite?
Chaundon: I don't have a favorite producer. Each one of them brings incredible music to the table which allows me to raise the bar every time I write a song.


TM: How much of an impact did your work ethic have as far as getting you to the point where you are now?
Chaundon: No one works harder than me, NOBODY!! My work ethic solidified my spot. Due to my tireless recording regimen, it allows me to capitalize on every opportunity imaginable. Other artists are quick to work with me because they know they are going to get a high quality verse and get the session back in 24 hours or less. Who works harder than me? NO ONE!!!!


TM: Where do you see the rap game 5 years from now? 10 years from now?
Chaundon: In my hands!


TM: What do you say to someone when they criticize the South claiming there are no "real" lyricists?
Chaundon: Shut up and listen to the music.


TM: Would You Collaberate With A Southern Artist?
Chaundon: Any time


TM: Who Would It Be?
Chaundon: Who ever is dope!


TM: What do you say to someone who says hiphop is dead(dying)?
Chaundon: Stop dick riding a false statement. Dope music on the radio is at an all time low, but there are tons of music that makes hip hop stronger on the underground. Truthfully there isnt a such thing as underground. The internet gives everyone a chance to find all kinds of music. Who needs to rely on radio to put them on to new shit when they can find it on their own.


TM: When can we expect another Chaundon album to drop? Any videos or singles coming soon?
Chaundon: I don't have a date yet on NO EXCUSES. Either December or as late as February. I'm also releasing an album with my boy Shuko! Look out for that!!!!! I'm shooting a video for my new single "The Greatest Warrior" in Philly in the next couple of weeks.


TM: Thanks for taking the time out of your day to answer a couple questions for nyraps.com Any last words, and what is the #1 site for New York Rap?
Chaundon: Look out for Rapper Pooh's mixtape "Rapper's Delight" and his new album "Dirty Pretty Things" Hall of Justus will not stop hitting yall with consistent heat!! I don't know what the #1 site for New York rap is...I don't be on line like that. I'm to busy in the studio making better music than a lot of these rappin ass niggaz...1ne

No comments: